poison cleaning productsIn the United States, each year, common household products poison millions of children. We hear stories on the local news, in our local newspaper, from the doctor our child visits, and other people, yet the issue is still occurring. It is time that we stepped up to the plate as parents and do what we have to do in order to ensure the safety of our children.

Safety should start in the home. One of the first things that a Pediatrician will tell a parent when a child is born is to be sure to lock up, or put up chemicals in the home to avoid accidental poisonings. Why is it then that many children still suffer from poisonings in their homes?

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that many parents may not know just how potent a certain item may be. It could be that they were not properly informed. In this article, we will be reviewing common household items that can pose a danger to your children.

If you visit your bathroom and look around closely, you will see many items that have the potential to poison your children. It is important that you keep medicines of all kinds out of the reach of your children. This includes over the counter medication, children’s medication, vitamins, lotions, prescriptions, and medicated patches.

Any chemicals that you use to clean the bathroom pose a poison hazard to children, too. This could include items like air fragrance, mold removal products, items to clean and deodorize drains, and even the brush that you use to clean the toilet.

Kitchen items can be a poison to children too. These items include a wide variety of cleaning supplies. Dish soap, spray cleaners, over cleaner, and other items have the potential to make your child deathly ill. We have a container that we keep in our kitchen cabinet that holds the sponge that we use to wash dishes, the drain plug, and the dish soap.

This is a good practice for parents who have small children in the home. Another thing that we do after we wash dishes is to wash the dish drainer, dry it, and put it away. If water stands on the bottom of a dish drainer, it has the potential to grow bacteria and mold that can endanger the health of everyone in the home.

Here is a list of other items that can poison your children:

  • Cosmetics
  • Hair Products
  • Bug Sprays
  • Floor Cleaners
  • Carpet Cleaners
  • Pet Foods
  • Polish
  • Wax
  • Oils
  • Candles
  • Moth Balls
  • Pesticides
  • Laundry Detergent
  • Fabric Softeners
  • Paint
  • Pet Care Products

Of course, this list is actually very small, but gives you an idea of things that you should keep out of the reach of children. These items should be kept on a high shelf, or in a locked closet. Make sure that medications and cleaners are kept apart and none of it is kept around the food area. Never mix products in different containers.

If you find that, you have to do this, ensure that you label all items appropriately. It is important that you keep the local emergency numbers and the poison control number next to your phones at all times. Generally, the local emergency number is 911 and poison control is 1-800-222-1222.

If you have an issue with pests in or around the home, All Pest Exterminating may help. We use products that are completely safe. Most over-the-counter pesticides and sprays may prove to be lethal to children.

If you would like to learn more about our safe alternatives or to set up an appointment for an inspection, visit our Home Page