All Pest Exterminating Inc. celebrates National Pest Management Month!
FAIRFAX, Va. – April is National Pest Management Month, a public observance celebrated for more than 30 years by the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) and recognized by Chase’s Calendar of Eventsas well as state governments. The designation brings attention to the professional pest management industry for its role in protecting public health and property from significant pest threats.
“Each day, and often behind the scenes, pest professionals are working to prevent or treat residential infestations, ensuring schools, hospitals, food processing facilities and other commercial structures are free of pests and therefore, free of disease,” said Missy Henriksen, NPMA’s vice-president of public affairs. “During National Pest Management Month, we shine the light on the importance of professional pest management in consumers’ everyday lives.”
Pest infestations can trigger asthma and indoor allergies, especially in children and the elderly; contaminate food sources and food preparation areas; spread a number of dangerous viruses and bacteria; and damage homes.
In light of the National Pest Management Month designation, NPMA has partnered with renowned home improvement expert, Bob Vila on a media tour to remind homeowners about ways they can prepare their homes against spring and summer pest invasions.
To assist homeowners with pest-proofing, Bob Vila and NPMA offer the following top tips:
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes;
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Ensure basements, attics, and crawl spaces are well ventilated and dry.
- Clean out gutters and install gutter guards.
- In case of an infestation, work with a licensed pest professional to determine the best treatment method.
(This post originally appeared in PestWorld.Org on April 1, 2014)